Reports to communications director for the Florida Communications & Research Hub (Comms Hub) as well as the Florida Watch executive director. The Black Constituency Communications Director helps craft culturally competent messaging to disseminate to Florida media outlets and partner organizations.
We are a progressive organization with a digital first lens. The Florida Communications & Research Hub is a partnership between Florida Watch and Progress Florida that provides communications infrastructure for Florida’s progressive organizations and coalitions. The Comms Hub leads innovative campaigns to advance progressive issues, win elections, and build a better Florida. We are driven by quantitative and qualitative research used to create engaging, authentic, and Florida-specific communications content. We meet people where they are in real life – on their mobile devices and computers.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Experience in political/campaign communications either as a press secretary, communications director or deputy communications director.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills. The ability to explain and present constituency-specific messaging to the media as well as coalition partners and others in a compelling way that moves people to take action.
- Relationships with Florida based Black media outlets, organizations, elected officials.
- Creative writing and editing skills. People tell you you’re a good writer.
- Nimble and quick thinker with experience working in a rapid response, campaign style environment.
- Demonstrated passion for electing progressive candidates and advancing public interest-driven issues and progressive values and policy solutions.
- Strong organizational and networking skills.
- Detail-oriented, goal-driven, with an affable and professional manner and ability to manage confidential and/or sensitive information.
- Ability to get things done on a tight deadline.
- Creative thinker who can develop detailed plans and execute them without much oversight.
- Florida experience is a must.
- Work with Comms Hub communications director and other Florida Watch and Progress Florida staff, directly with media and with partner organizations to get our messaging out to Floridians through digital ads, targeted media outlets and social media channels.
- Turn research (qualitative, quantitative, modeling, etc.) into effective constituency-specific messaging for voter contact and utilization by partner organizations. Work in collaboration with the creative content team to craft effective ads.
- Write press advisories, press releases, opinion page content and social media content to promote events and get our message out.
- Produce and execute unique events that garner community attention and generate favorable press coverage.
- Find and support influencers among the constituency group you are responsible for.
- Cultivate strong relationships with members of the press, constituency group leaders, and statewide partners.
- Collect authentic stories and feedback from the field.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Travel as needed to attend meetings with partner organizations (once deemed safe to do so).
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this role is $60,000-$72,000 annually and will be commensurate with experience. We also offer a 401k with up to a 5% match, health (as well as life & disability) insurance, flexible work environment and paid time off. This is a permanent position with retention based on performance in the 2021 – 2022 cycle. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes a cover letter, resume and one short writing sample. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until we find the right candidates. Reference “Black Constituency Communications Director” and your name in the subject line.
Florida Watch is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.