The Communications Director will help craft culturally competent, research informed messaging, develop and advance an overall communications narrative and plan for the Comms Hub, advise on digital content, and work with Florida media outlets.
We are a progressive organization with a digital first lens. The Florida Communications & Research Hub is a partnership between Florida Watch and Progress Florida that provides communications infrastructure for Florida’s progressive organizations and coalitions. The Comms Hub leads innovative campaigns to advance progressive issues, win elections, and build a better Florida. We are driven by quantitative and qualitative research used to create engaging, authentic, and Florida-specific communications content. We meet people where hey are in real life – on their mobile devices and computers.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Campaign experience either as a press secretary, communications director, or deputy communications director.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills. The ability to explain and present messaging to the media, coalition partners, and others to get them fired up.
- Creative writing and editing skills. People tell you you’re a good writer.
- Nimble and quick thinker with experience working in a rapid response, campaign style environment.
- Always thinking of ways to elect progressive candidates and methods to advance public interest driven initiatives.
- Strong organizational and networking skills. Fully plugged into #flapol.
- Detail-oriented, goal-driven, with an affable and professional manner and ability to manage confidential and/or sensitive information. You can handle yourself.
- Creative thinker who can develop detailed plans and execute them.
- Lives for the hustle.
- Varied and plentiful media diet. You are frequently told to get off your phone.
- Florida experience is a must.
- Work with Hub Communications Director and other Florida Watch and Progress Florida staff, directly with media, and partner organizations to get our messaging out to Floridians through digital ads, targeted media outlets, and social media channels.
- Turn research (qualitative, quantitative, modeling, etc.) into effective messaging for voter contact and utilization by partner organizations. Work in collaboration with the creative content team to craft effective ads.
- Write press advisories, press releases, opinion page content, and social media content to promote events and get our message out.
- Produce and execute unique events that garner community attention and generate favorable press coverage.
- Cultivate strong relationships with members of the press, constituency group leaders, and statewide partners. Be the ‘go to’ source.
- Collect authentic stories and feedback from the field.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Travel as needed to attend meetings with partner organizations (once deemed safe to do so).
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this position is $80,000-$90,000 annually and will be commensurate with experience. We also offer a 401k with up to a 5% match, health (as well as life and disability) insurance, flexible work environment, and paid time off. This position is currently remote.
This is a permanent position with retention based on performance in the 2021 – 2022 cycle. Please send an email to email@example.com that includes a cover letter, resume and one short writing sample. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until we find the right candidate. Reference “Communications Director” and your name in the subject line.
Florida Watch is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. Women, people of color, those with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly urged to apply.